IBD

IBD Myths

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
July 25, 2022 in IBD

A lot of advocating for IBD includes myth busting and educating!

What are some of the most common or most egregious IBD myths that you've seen?

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

"Diet doesn't matter."

Most harmful myth out there.

July 27, 2022
  • LaurenEBExpert
    Patient

On the flip side, "Diet is a cure" can be equally harmful!

August 9, 2022
  • AnnMarieOther

I know in my world of illnesses the balance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is hard. Some say it is the only way some say live your life. The balance is what makes it healthy. I hate the word "diet" because I think that is the issue. I know we have talked about this because it can be seen many ways but diet culture ruined it for me. I see both points-healthy eating is so important but the other myth side is that it is not the cure. This is an important conversation for sure

August 10, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

A j-pouch is a cure for UC.

August 10, 2022
  • ayarpi11Patient

Oh boy! When I was first diagnosed I showed my doctor my new meal plan and he said diet doesn’t matter. Now I know better.

August 15, 2022
  • LaurenEBExpert
    Patient

Another harmful myth is that it's just a bathroom/pooping disease. It is those things but it is also so much more than that.

September 13, 2022
  • ibdxnathalieExpert
    Patient

Being just barely a 20-year-old with IBD is definitely tough. I have heard a lot of "I thought that was just for old people" comments in the four years I've had my Crohn's!

September 19, 2022
  • ayarpi11Patient

I am sorry, that’s frustrating. Please look into these books it has been really helpful for me. Dr. Gundry, the plant paradox and Dr. Gabor Mates newest book, the myth of normal.

September 19, 2022